July 08 initial observations

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:26 AM
  1. Far too many pre-reqs. Took me a good 10/5 min to load. Please bootstrap installation of all the pre-reqs.
  2. Give us the option to order the threads by most recent. And make it the default. (its currently unsable for me without this feature)
  3. There should be a link to the online forum
  4. Each thread should hav a link to that thread online.
  5. Would be nice to hover over a post and see what's in it without having to click on it
  6. Make it run as a Mesh app rather than a standalone tool. Its a sync tool right? Mesh is an obvious place for it.
  7. Let us reply using the client (kinda surprised this isn't here)
  8. Unable to type in the "Filter name and description" box in the 'Subscribe' dialog. A friend had compile the source though and aparently its possible with that so I suspect this is coming, right?
  9. Allow me to read/write forums on Microsoft Connect and Codeplex using this thing too. In other words, make this a client for ALL Microsoft forums.
  10. I like the green theme. Nicer than the default blue.

In short, its not very useful right now except as an offline reader and I want more than that. Its promising though.

-Jamie Thomson

Coordinator
Aug 7, 2008 at 1:59 PM

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your feedback.

My comments

#1. Yes. This is a work in progress to bootstrap the installation of the pre-reqs [ Live ID & SQL CE]
#2  This would also be there in next version.
#7 & your last point: This version of CTP is just an offline reader. We would have the post reply capability in next CTP version.
#8. Yes it would be there in next version.

I will consider your other requests for a future release.

- Kannan

Aug 7, 2008 at 2:32 PM
Edited Aug 7, 2008 at 3:12 PM
Hi Kannan,

I would also like to see some compression of the post body. Currently SQLCE chokes at 4Gb, so with a lot of posts you will get there faily quickly.
I have built a tool very much like this in the past, so if you need an extra hand let me know.

Oh, and your user interface seriously needs some work :-) It's far to deductive.

Kind regards,

Matthijs Krempel
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2008 at 5:27 PM

Thanks for your suggestion Matthijs.

We focused a lot on getting the core functionality done in this CTP, so didn't focus much on the user interface. Going forward you would find lot of improvements on the GUI.

We would gladly welcome community contributors to this project. I will get in touch with you shortly.

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:51 PM
Is it possible to put clickable links somewhere of all the prereqs?  

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b5a78784-922d-4267-a6e9-5d2ecf1dced8&DisplayLang=en
Windows Live Client ID is one.. and in there do I download all three?  Sorry to be confused.
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2008 at 11:07 PM
Hi Bitzie,

I have the links available under "Prerequisites" in the release tab.

You just need to install  WLIDClientSDK.msi for the live ID from above link.

-Kannan.
Aug 10, 2008 at 4:55 AM

Congratulations to the team for getting this version out!  It's been a long time in coming and there was no word that it was even progressing, so it is very good to see this CTP.  But could you do a better job of keeping us in the loop of what is coming and when?

RE:  #4 - Each thread should have a link to that thread online, 

This was responded to by skannan, "I will consider your other requests for a future release. "

May I request that you put this in IMMEDIATELY?  The reason is because you don't let us post from the client, we need to post from the website.  And right now it is very tedious to find the message on the website that we are reading in the client and want to reply to.  This would greatly increase the usability of your CTP in a very typical user scenario.

Thank you,
David

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2008 at 5:01 PM
Thanks David,

We wanted to be agile in getting the reader functionality out to the community. The next release should have the write capability from the client.

Regards,
Kannan.
Coordinator
Aug 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM
Btw, You can view the planned work items for next release by selecting "Issue Tracker --> Advanced View--> Filter Release by "August 08 CTP (Planned) --> Filter type by "Feature".