This project is read-only.

Standalone App vs. Plugin?

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:56 PM
Alright, I'm kicking off the first discussion we need to have on this project. In some ways this will set the tone and amount of work we have ahead of us for the rest of the project. At a fundamental level, should we be creating a completely standalone application vs. a plugin that works inside of Outlook? I don't think we have bandwidth to build more than one solution, and I don't know if we want to force a choice of mail reader on people just to use this functionality.

On the other hand, building a separate tool basically IS forcing you to choose your reader. Thoughts, suggestions?

-Jeremy
Feb 28, 2008 at 7:24 AM
I'd go for a standalone App.

Rather than hitching to Outlook's wagon, start from scratch in WPF. Heck, you might find that someone ports the code to Silverlight 2.0 and we'll have an online/offline reading within a browser! <grin>

Ken
Feb 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM
Standalone app. Not everyone uses Outlook. A standalone app is more useful from a wide audience perspective.
Mar 1, 2008 at 3:53 PM
Edited Mar 1, 2008 at 4:49 PM
I love my current newsreader. It will take your one developer years to match it. Turnpike has been around for 15 years and is very stable, highly functional and totally relilable. As noted in my comments, this project is really doing things the wrong way around. By providing a simple NNTP to Forum DB interface (you already have several in use today inside MS), you could enable me to use my current tools, and then focus on providing a better web interface for the less frequent end user (the chap who is not likely to want to deal with downloading a client just to get a simple question answered).

Please reconsider the scope of this tool.
Edited Mar 1, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Ignore - duplicate post sent in error.
Edited Mar 1, 2008 at 4:46 PM
Sorry for the multiple posts - an error on my part using the web posting intereface.

How about adding a feature to the feature list of this new client: the ability to remove messages and the ability to be notified when posts are made

In terms of plug-in vs stand-alone app, go for a stand alone application. Outlook plug-ins are hard to build and make reliable!!
Mar 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Definitely stand-alone. In order to get any acceptance at all, you need to ensure you're not initially tied to any other applications. A project like this doesn't need to get bogged down in Outlook integration issues. Lessons-learned can be applied to other projects, such as an Outlook add-in though.
Mar 11, 2008 at 11:55 PM
I agree with tfl. I prefer a standalone app. Better than this, only a Forum-to-NNTP conversor can do. With this, we would be able to use any newsreader to access MSDN and TechNet forums.
Mar 15, 2008 at 6:13 AM
Make it standalone for sure. If you build a solid core for the app, it can in theory have other interfaces built for it. But the less complexity, the better for now.
Mar 19, 2008 at 8:42 PM
I'm voting for standalone using WPF

Alex
Apr 20, 2008 at 2:42 AM
I vote for standalone app.
May 8, 2008 at 7:49 PM
As long as it works as fast and efficient - for monitoring and participating in many forums - as it is now with NNTP and a good newsgroup reader, then I don't care if it is a plugin for existing readers or a standalone application. There is no way right now - that I know of - to monitor and participate in a dozen or so forums without first spending 10 times the amount of time it takes to participate in the same number of newsgroups. This is the primary concern IMO.
Jun 10, 2008 at 10:13 PM
I'm voting for a standalone applications.
Jun 11, 2008 at 12:31 AM
Edited Jun 11, 2008 at 12:34 AM
There doesn't appear to be much progress on this project.... so it looks like (at this pace) it will take 10 years to implement this new forums client, and phase out NNTP... which is fine with me... I fail to see the value of such phasing out of newsgroups anyway, especially since there is no suitable replacement on the horizon (which this proposed forum client so far does not appear to be - a *suitable* replacement that is..:)
Aug 8, 2008 at 7:35 AM
I would have used Outlook since I use Outlook 2007 for reading e-mail, blogs, etc. I prefer having only one tool doing my conversation and outlook is a pretty good fit. What I like most is, since I am using more than one maschine where I read and send messages (e-mail, blogs, etc), they are allways in sync since they are stored on exchange folders.